The Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has made available a participation waiver of federal fraud and abuse laws in connection with the operation of accountable care organizations (ACOs) that have entered into a participation agreement under the Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
The Augusta Care Partners (ACO) Board of Managers has duly authorized the arrangements below and made a bona fide determination that each arrangement is reasonably related to the purposes of the MSSP because the arrangements will promote accountability for the quality, cost and overall care for Medicare beneficiaries assigned to ACO. The descriptions of relevant arrangements are disclosed below for the purpose of the ACO availing itself of the protections afforded under the MSSP Waivers:
- ACO Participation Waiver: Augusta Health, a participant in the ACO, may make payments or contributions to the ACO for the following:
- Payments to the Medical Director of ACO for ACO related services, and to members of the Board/Committees of the ACO as compensation for their Board/Committee time.
- Payments or contributions of general operating expenses of the ACO including: supplies; meeting meals; dues and subscriptions; marketing materials; support staff; data analytics staff and software; care coordination staff and software.
- Payments to third parties for legal services (HDJN); consulting services (Dixon Hughes Goodman); professional design services (Tipton Communications) and patient satisfaction survey and analysis (National Research Corporation).
- Payments for ACO related professional development and conference expenses for Augusta Care Partners management and leadership.
Future arrangements will be added to this list.