Preventing transmission of influenza virus within healthcare settings requires a multi-faceted approach:
- Promote and administer influenza vaccine for all patients aged 6 months and older, unless contraindicated.
- Consider minimizing potential exposures by providing telephone consultation to patients with mild respiratory illness to determine if there is a medical need to visit the facility.
- If you are experiencing influenza-like illness symptoms, stay home until fever free for 24 hours without a fever reducing medication.
- Adhere to Standard Precautions by performing hand hygiene frequently, wearing gloves for any contact with potentially infectious material, and gown for any patient-care activity when contact with secretions is anticipated.
- Adhere to Droplet Precautions when seeing a patient with suspected, probable, or confirmed influenza by donning a mask prior to room entry.
For the full list of recommendations, please visit the CDC website.