Screening and Diagnostic Colonoscopy Referrals
Since 2004, the Augusta Health Screening Colonoscopy Clinic has been serving asymptomatic patients who have risk factors for developing colon cancer. Here’s a quick description of the Clinic’s screening protocol:
- Fax referral sheet to the Clinic at (540) 332-5723
- Give patient the Clinic’s information sheet (pictured right) and instruct them to contact the Clinic to schedule the procedure. The typical wait time for a screening colonoscopy is 4 to 6 weeks from the time of initial patient contact.
- If a referred patient does not contact the Clinic to schedule the procedure, Clinic staff will attempt to contact the patient directly.
- Procedure reports are faxed to referring provider upon completed exam.
Please note that the presence of ANY of the below criteria will exclude a patient from the Clinic:
- Symptoms – abdominal pain, rectal bleeding, weight loss, etc.
- History of bleeding disorders
- Documented unstable coronary artery disease
- Taking any prescription blood thinner or any immunosuppressive medication
- Severe COPD
- Internal defibrillator
- Over 75 years of age (must go through physician’s office for exam)
- Diverticulitis diagnosed within 1 month of colonoscopy
- Younger than 50 years of age with no family history
- Inflammatory bowel disease
For patients who do not qualify for the Clinic, providers can make a referral to a practice that performs diagnostic colonoscopies.
Meet the Providers
There are currently 9 providers who perform screening colonoscopies through the Clinic on a rotating schedule. All of these physicians also provide diagnostic colonoscopy services through their practices.